Saturday, March 15, 2008

Extended Vacation in Naples, Italy and Morocco

15 March 2008 - Making preparations to depart for Naples, Italy tomorrow. Getting all my stuff packed and double-checking to make sure I have it all and that I really need it. Leaving Mobile by rental car for Atlanta where I'll fly out around 6:20 p.m. to Naples via Amsterdam. Could have gone thru Paris, but that last three times I was in Paris I had too much hassle and was not treated very well by the locals.

This will be my third trip to Naples and I intend to revisit some of the places I've already been to; but mostly I want to investigate the Naples area as there was not enough time on my other visits to really dig into this enchanting city. I haaven't been able to get to Capri, Ischia or Sicily yet and I've put a high priority on these three places. I especially want to see Sicily because my son has already made a visit and his pictures from there have really got me keyed up.

The Morocco part of the vacation is also a return trip, but there's a little more time scheduled to visit some of the more exotic cities. Too, the fact that my son's family own property there now and will provide more or less free housing should make it an exciting and thrifty tour. Unfortunately, Rida and Redoune won't be there to take care of me. But Suffien is of an age now that he'll make a good standin. Last time I saw him he was only 7 or 8 years old. My son has a place on the beach about 20 miles south of Casablanca that is 75 to 100 yards from the Atlantic.

Won't post anything tomorrow as I'll be flying till noon or so on the 17th., and dragging out the laptop in the one layover I have already sounds like too much bother. Then there is the drive from Rome that will put me in Naples around 2 or 3 p.m. local. I'll have to rest a bit, I'm sure, what with jet lag and all. But I'll be making notes to help me with my next post, sometime the evening of the 17th. or morning of the 18th.

Looking forward to tasting the local wines and getting to know lemoncello better.

end

No comments: